Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Splish Splash

A few months ago the town next to ours (The "Big City"...has a population of about 5,000!) got a new park!  Actually, it was already a park they just revamped it because it was pretty pitiful as far as parks go.  Also, it was extremely dangerous!  They had a slide that I UN-affectionately named "The Death Slide" because when Brennan was just barely 2-years-old he fell off of it and it was seriously one of the most ridiculously scary moments in my life to date.  Ugh.  Luckily, I have the reflexes of a jungle cat when it comes to my baby...so I was able to catch him and break his fall.  Then we both sat in the dirt and cried our eyes out.*  Fun times.  I am happy to report that the "Death Slide" was removed (and hopefully thrown into a fire and destroyed) and they replaced it with some newer/safer playground equipment AND...drum roll please...a SPLASH PARK!  It's not very big, but it's pretty awesome considering what it took the place of.  Brennan loves it.  It's so much fun hearing his squeals of delight as he weaves in and out of the geysers and water cannons.  Also, the fact that we live in Texas means that we will probably be able to enjoy this little splash park for about 11.5 months of the year.  Good call, Parks and Recreation of Center, TX...good call. 

Thankfully these little "guns" turn off when you rotate them toward the picnic tables because my son would definitely found enjoyment in soaking us as we watched him play.
Just as I enjoyed soaking HIM!  Muahahaha!!

A boy and his turtle.

Trying to block the water with his hand...not a huge success.

This seems to be his favorite part...he runs into the middle of the "ring of water" and then jumps up and down.

See? :)

Jumping like a frog

That's some pretty impressive air! 

Weeeeeee!!

I love this boy. 

*I would just like to state, for the record, that I am not being a crazy-over-reactor-hyper Mom in this case.  This was one of those old school metal slides with a ladder straight up the back and a slide straight down.  Problem is...it was very high (as in, standing next to it with my arms completely stretched out above my head I didn't even begin to reach the top.) and there were absolutely NO side rails at the top...just open space.  You may be asking yourself at this point "What on earth were you thinking letting your two-year-old child go down such a slide??" and to you I would say...Exactly.  Hind sight is 20/20.  We were at the park with some friends of ours (the kids were 7 and 4) and Brennan wanted to slide with them...and he did...multiple times.  I stayed pretty close by because I feared the worst.  Then the park got crowded and for some reason all of these little kids were little daredevils and wanted to go down the "death slide"...Brennan got a little panicked when the kids were waiting on the ladder behind him, next thing I know he is falling head first off the top of the slide...which is when I dove under the slide and contorted my body to break his fall.  And the crowd goes wild!!!!  The End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment