Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wife AND Mom

Brennan has definitely come into the "MINE" phase of his life. He is having a really difficult time with the concept of sharing right now and he makes it very clear that he is not at all interested in learning. Poor guy...he has been spending quite a bit of time in "time-out" and crying about his toys being in someone else's (Mommy or Daddy) hands. Since we don't have a whole lot of other kids to interact with we try to play with him and teach him about sharing as best we can. Sometimes it goes well. Other times...not so much.

This is one for the books...

Last night when Derek got home we were all hanging out in the living room. Derek was playing with Brennan and I was laying on the couch observing. Derek took a break to lay down next to me on the couch and put his arm around me and what happened next was all at once hilarious, completely pitiful, and alarming...

Brennan screams..."MY MOMMY!!!!! MY MOMMY!!!" Derek and I just looked at each other and chuckled. Don't underestimate Brennan's reaction though...I want you to picture a hysterical, crocodile tears streaming, completely distraught baby boy...clawing at Derek's back to try to get him off of me. Derek started to move and I said "No, stay right here." I calmly told Brennan..."Hey, listen...you can come up and cuddle with us, ok?" So, after some coaxing, he finally climbed over Derek and came to lay on my belly. So all three of us were cuddled on the couch and he continued to cry "Myyyyyyyy Mommy!" I explained to him that yes, I was HIS Mommy, but that I am also Daddy's WIFE. Derek chimed in "This is my wife." At which point the waterworks and hysterics began again and Brennan shouted (quite angrily, might I add) "NO!!! MY WIFE!"

Ahh...oh the hilarity. I must admit (even at the risk of sounding completely nuts) it was slightly gratifying that Brennan wanted me all to himself. Moments like these are so precious. Naturally we can't let him hold to this illusion, but hey...if my two year old son gets jealous that I am Daddy's wife...I am just going to take that as a compliment :) In the months to come we will be exercising our "sharing" muscles and teaching Brennan that it's ok for his Mommy to also be Daddy's Wife...in fact, it's awesome. I hope someday he is as good a Husband AND Dad as Derek is.

No comments:

Post a Comment