Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Walmart Woes

This weekend I kicked off the New Year by doing something outrageously dumb and embarrassing. Seriously...Lindsey=the antonym of smart.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, my family is on it's way to becoming "fit". To get started I made a very detailed and long list of foods to buy from Walmart that would support this makeover of our cupboards. We basically have a few options as far as grocery shopping goes...drive 5 miles to a not-good-at-all local grocery store, drive 15 miles to a not-so-good Walmart (lets be honest...does a "good" Walmart even exist??), or drive 35 miles to a Walmart that has way better produce and product selection and is also very close to a health foods store that we can find certain "non-walmart" things. So, of course...I chose to go the extra mile(s) to get the good produce which would allow us to begin our "diet" (I hate that word...it's more of a healthy eating plan...) Well, I spent a good hour-hour and a half scouring the aisles (looking for the best deals...we're going to get financially fit too, remember?) and finally made my awesome cart full of delicious food to the check out lanes. I loaded everything on to the conveyor belt and kept loading as the cashier started to ring up and bag my groceries. About halfway through I started to get my method of payment ready only to realize...I had no wallet. NO Wallet. As in...NO wallet. OH...MY...GOSH. I was horrified. I just told the cashier to stop and apologized profusely. She was actually pretty nice about it (a rare find at a Walmart store) and she assured me that this sort of thing happened more often than I would think. So...after nearly 2 hours in walmart and an hour of driving I made my way home without a single item off of my list. Needless to say I was beyond defeated. To add insult to injury, I HAD to go back. We didn't desperately need all of the items on my list, but my sweet little Brennan boy needed milk. I couldn't manage to explain to him that Mommy would rather lay on the floor and cry than go buy some more milk...so I packed the poor kid up and headed to Walmart...AGAIN. Ugh. This time I went the 15 miles to the not-so-good Walmart in an effort to save a sliver of my sanity. When I got there I thought "I'll just try to recompose my cart full of groceries" but it was just terrible. The produce is a joke. SO, I opted to just buy a few necessities (milk included) and head for home. Which means...you guessed it!! I have to go to Walmart (the 35 miles away-nicer one) AGAIN today. What is wrong with me?? Clearly I have brain damage of some sort.

2 comments:

  1. Not brain damage, just a good mom with lots on her mind:) Like having to drive a half hour for food!
    But you're right, that totally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is by far a horrible day and I will no longer be so upset about my horrible wal-mart experience today which consisted of a 30 minute check out (not kidding!) and it was self-checkout to make matters even more frustrating, while my 2 tiny's were crying...basically the moral of the story is nothing good ever happens during a shopping day at the big store

    ReplyDelete