Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Day of Groundhogs


Happy Groundhogs Day! Word around town is that old Punxsutawney Phil says that there will be an early spring this year...he's been wrong in the past though, so I won't hold my breath. Truth be told...I don't particularly mind the cold weather. Living in East Texas the weather is hot and humid a lot of the time, so I welcome a cool breeze. In fact I welcome an arctic breeze. I figure we have a nice warm house, comfy warm clothes, the ability to make fires in the fireplace...we'll be fine and before too long it will be hotter than Satan's breath...or something equally outrageously and uncomfortably hot, so I'm not complaining! (That's right, I just equated the summers of East Texas to the the devil's mouth.)
Anyway, because it is Groundhogs Day, Derek and I will be watching the glorious Billy Murray movie in which he repeats the day over and over and over again. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's pretty awesome. So I would recommend stopping what you are doing and watching it immediately. It's definitely one of those "once-a-year" viewing type deals...kind of like how you watch Christmas movies starting AFTER Thanksgiving (if you watch them before Thanksgiving and/or listen to Christmas Music before Thanksgiving...you should be ashamed of yourself. Just kidding...but seriously.) Watching Bill Murray relive the same day multiple times in the movie always gets me thinking "What if I had to live ONE day on repeat?" In the movie he is having a horrible day, but lets just say that you got to choose the day you would relive...obviously you'd pick a really good day, right? Imagine how horrible that favorite day of yours would become if it was all you could ever do? Or maybe you would pick your worst day ever and try to "fix" it. Stay with me here...it's easy to look back on certain days and wish that you could repeat or change something which would hypothetically change the course of the rest of that day and maybe even your life, but you know...you can't. Sad, but true. Sometimes I struggle with the "what if" attitude and I have to just snap out of it and keep moving forward. There really are no "what ifs" or "buts"...you only get one chance to live each day. Ideally you would do everything right and never want to change something about your day...unfortunately none of us have that ability. So, our options are: move forward or let your "mistakes" consume you and ruin your life from there on out. I choose to move forward and you should too. Don't let mistakes that you have made crush you, learn from them and try to teach others with your experience. Don't let "what ifs" overtake your life so that you don't enjoy your life NOW. Don't make excuses for circumstances in your life, own up and move on. I have faith that God can right my wrongs and undo my misdeeds, even I have done something seemingly irreversible...I just have to be willing to cease the pity party and accept the help to get out of the hole that I have dug myself into.
Funny how something like a Bill Murray movie can make you think thoughts such as these, eh? Maybe it's just me. In any case, you just read what I wrote...so I know you're thinking about it too! Happy Groundhogs Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment